I’ve been a huge fan of the Hamster Time Tracking tool. And that for years! It made tracking my time spent on various commercial projects a breeze.
However, this project is undergoing a major refactoring and is no longer available available from the Ubuntu repositories. Sadly, a fact that I discovered after upgrading my Laptop from Linux Mint 18.2 to 19.1.
Using instructions from this github comment, I was able to get it installed and working on my Ubuntu 18.04 (which underpins Linux Mint 19.1), using packages from 17.10:
- Install some dependencies first:
- sudo apt-get install python-gnome2 python-gconf python-pyorbit liborbit2 libidl-2-0
- Download the following libraries
- Install the downloaded packages:
- sudo dpkg -i python-wnck_2.32.0+dfsg-4_amd64.deb hamster-applet_2.91.3+git20120514.b9fec3e1-1ubuntu2_all.deb
Since this was a fresh install, I had to copy my old Hamster database across. The database is located in: